Search Engine Optimization also referred as SEO.
SEO is a technique for:
• Designing and developing a website to rank well in search engine results
• Improving the volume and quality of traffic to a website from search engines
• Marketing by understanding how search algorithms work, and what human visitors might search.
SEO is a subset of Search Engine Marketing. SEO is also referred as SEO copyrighting, because most of the techniques that are used to promote sites in search engines, deal with text
– About 80% of internet ser sessions begin at the search engines
– About 55 of online purchases are made on sites found through search engine listing
Search Engine is a tool that enables users to locate information on the World Wide Web. Search Engines use keywords entered by the users to find Web sites which contain the information like.
Major Search Engines are: Google , Yahoo, MSN , Bing etc…
The best search engine Worldwide is Google. According to the recent statistics, Google is the most popular search engine with stunning 87.35% market share
SEO techniques are classified into two broad categories:
• White Hat SEO – Techniques that search engines recommend as part of a good design
• Black Hat SEO – Techniques that search engines do not approve and attempt to minimize the effect of these techniques are also known as spamdexing.
White Hat SEO
A SEO tactic is considered as White Hat , if it has the following features:
• It conforms to the search engine’s guidelines.
• It does not involve in any deception
• It ensures that the content a search engine indexes, and subsequently rank is the same content a user will see.
• It ensures that a web page content should have been created and not just for the search engines
• It ensures good quality of the web pages
• It ensures availability of useful content on the web pages
We should always follow a White Hat SEO tactics and do not try to fool your site visitors .
Black Hat SEO or Spamdexing
An SEO tactic is considered as Black Hat or Spamdexing if it has the following features:
• Attempting ranking improvements that are disapproved by the search engines or involve deception
• Redirecting users to a page that is built for search engines to one that is more human friendly
• Redirecting users to a page that was different from the page the search engine ranked
• Serving one version of a page to search engine spiders/bots and another version to human visitors. This is called Cloaking SEO tactic.
• Using hidden and invisible text or with the page background colour, using a tiny font size or hiding them within the HTML code such as frame sections
• Repeating keywords in the Meta tags, and using keywords that are unrelated to the website content. This is called Meta tag stuffing
Creating a rogue copy of a popular website which shows contents similar to the original to a web crawler, but redirects web surfers to unrelated or malicious websites. This is called Page hijacking
We should always stay away from any above Black Hat Tactics to improve rank of the site .
► SEO can bring good traffic to your website.
► SEO is an on going process.
► Search Engine keeps modifying its search algorithm.
Written by – Varsha (Intern)