Ecommerce SEO is a strategy that helps the business and the products to rank in the top list of the search result pages of a search engine. It is the process of making the online stores more visible in the search results. If your products and services rank high in the search result page of someone’s search denotes that your products and services could get more organic traffic which is only possible by SE optimization of your website and content. Thus SEO plays a significant role in the reach of your business, eventually resulting in brand awareness and an increase in sales conversions.
Importance of SEO for E-commerce
- Increase Brand awareness: SEO helps to make a mark on a business’s presence online as it plays a crucial role in enhancing one’s visibility in search engines result pages.
- It gives long-term results: Long term result is the main advantage of an SEO campaign. SEO is a long term strategy as it takes time to work and it takes time for the optimizations to take effect and promises to deliver enhanced organic traffic to your website over the long term.
- SEO is cost effective: Unlike paid search traffic, the traffic for organic search is free i.e. no cost per click, no cost per conversion. Thus SEO helps to attract quality traffic in large volumes without paying for it directly.
- SEO helps customer finds your business easily as by SEO there is maximum chance to appear at a high rank of a search result page.
Various Ecommerce SEO Strategies
- Keyword Research: Keyword research is the first step in an ecommerce SEO campaign. This process helps to find the types of keywords that customers search often. While choosing keyword always look for words with low difficulty. Sometimes you can even take the idea from your competitor who is ranking higher than you in the search result. Also there are number of free keyword research tools such as keyword finder, keyword sheeter, keyworddit, keyword generator etc.
- Site architecture: Site architecture generally refers to the format that organizes and delivers the content in systematic way. It is attractive and efficient for bots to crawl and helps them find and display your content in search engine results pages.
- On-Page SEO: On-Page SEO is important because it helps business to appear in other search engine result pages. If we talk about On-page SEO, we have to consider for ecommerce pages, product pages and for your blog content. On-page SEO includes-
- Optimization of titles, descriptions and #tags
- Optimization of URL
- Writing unique product and category descriptions.
- SEO Copywriting: SEO Copywriting is actually a part of On-page SEO strategy. It is the practice of producing optimized content that is designed to target search engine algorithms. Various tips includes-
- Include your head keyword target in the description.
- Use long tail variations and synonyms with semantic relationship to the head term.
- Make sure they are well written and readable for visitors.
- Tell visitors things that they may actually want to know.
- Keep it short, sweet and on point.
- Use user generated content via product reviews.
- Technical SEO: Technical SEO refers to improving the technical aspects of a website in order to increase the rankings of your site on search result page. It also plays an important role in ensuring that your website meets all the required technical aspects. It allows search engines like Google, Yahoo etc to know the value of various websites. It solves various problems such as duplicate content, wasted crawl budget, fix other duplicate content etc.
- Link building (product and category pages): It is the process of building back links to your website. It is one of the most important tactics used in search engine optimization because this helps to attract large number of organic traffic. Various tactics of link building may include-
- Link to your competitors’ home page links.
- Get featured on manufacturer’s “where to buy” pages.
- Search for people who have done reviews on your competitors’ products and approach them to write review for your website too.
SEO allows businesses to appear more authoritative than those on the third or fourth pages of the search results. Because of this, customers are more likely to trust a brand that ranks on the top of the list, which enhances its sales by increasing organic traffic. Brands should never underestimate the enormous potential and opportunity of SEO for business, especially ecommerce.
Article on Ecommerce SEO – Written by – Priyanka (MR Marketer Intern)